Hazardous Waste: What You Need to Know
It is always important to take proper precautions when disposing of hazardous waste. If improperly managed, toxic materials have the potential to impose harmful effects on human health, your neighbourhood, and the environment. This type of waste can be produced from a number of sources ranging from industrial manufacturing facilities to your own household.
To avoid the potential risks associated with dangerous waste from affecting your household, always monitor how you use, store, and dispose of these products. If hazardous waste is a concern for you, work with our experts in Lloydminster for quick and safe waste removal from your property.
5 Types of Hazardous Waste You Must Safely Dispose
It is extremely unsafe to eliminate toxic materials down drains, sewers, and regular trash bins. By learning about the different types of hazardous waste, you can avoid polluting the environment and keep your loved ones safe:
- Listed Waste – There are certain wastes that are labeled as dangerous so the public is equipped with a certain degree of knowledge of how to handle them. Listed wastes fall under two categories known as Discarded Chemical Products and Dangerous Waste Sources. These hazardous materials are defined as being any unused, discarded, or pure substance that only has one active ingredient. Some examples include items such as pesticides and formaldehyde. Furthermore, hazardous wastes from a specific industry source are considered dangerous waste sources. These include substances such as waste water treatment and solvents used in degreasing operations.
- Characterized Waste – These types of wastes are listed under four categories including: ignitable, corrosive, reactive, and toxic. Ignitable wastes such as solvents, paint waste, and dry cleaning waste are capable of starting a fire. Corrosive materials such as battery acid and plating wastes have the ability to corrode metal tanks, drums, and other containers. Reactive waste materials such as peroxides are extremely dangerous as they can release toxic fumes or cause explosions if compressed, heated, or mixed with water. Finally, toxic waste such as ink or pesticides can be harmful to your health if ingested or absorbed.
- Universal Waste – Common materials found in your household can be categorized as universal waste. For instance, this hazardous waste can include batteries, items containing mercury, and a number of pesticides. It is imperative that these items are disposed of with care and according to the regulations set by your province.
- Mixed Waste – This category considers hazardous materials that contain both radioactive and toxic components as mixed waste. Commercially generated waste is the primary source of these materials. Industries that produce this type of waste include pharmacies, medical centres, nuclear, and energy plants.
- E-Waste – The term ‘E-waste’ stands for electrical or electronic waste. Over time, this has become a growing category for waste production as the world becomes more digitized. This category includes items such as old TV’s, computers, printers, refrigerators, and more. As a result of changes during the manufacturing process, many components become harmful if handled incorrectly.
Contact Us for Hazardous Waste Removal in Lloydminster
At Quik Pick Waste Disposal, you can count on us to be your one-stop location for all types of waste removal services. We have a deep understanding of how much waste and garbage is produced but may not always be disposed of correctly. As a result, we provide a wide range of services for residential, commercial, industrial, and municipal properties to help keep you and the community safe. We are also proud to offer our customers other products and services beyond waste management including portable toilet rentals, temporary fencing, recycling solutions, and more.
Schedule your appointment for hazardous waste removal in Lloydminster, Bonnyville or Cold Lake with Quik Pick Waste Disposal today. You can request a quote online or call us toll-free at 1-877-475-4100.