Thinking About Recycling? Here is What You Cannot Recycle
Recycling helps the environment, and in a way, it can save you money. While it is beneficial, not everything can be recycled.
Blue recycling programs are easy and eco-friendly. You can send materials to the recycling plant in a bin and prevent excess waste at a local landfill. If you want to go green and improve recycling efforts, you need to know what you can and cannot recycle. Sending the wrong products to a recycling facility will reduce the efficiency of the program, and make it harder for companies to do their job.
What Can You Recycle with Recycling Companies in Lloydminster?
If you are thinking of starting a recycling program at work or home, here is what you can recycle and how to do it properly:
- Aluminum cans: Aluminum cans are 100 percent recyclable. If you were to recycle these, you could reduce the energy and waste made from making new cans for soda companies. It is best if you empty out and rinse the can entirely before putting it in your recycling bin.
- Aluminum foil: Aluminum foil is used in thousands of products, and it can be recycled continuously. Remember that foil with food particles makes it hard to accept. Therefore, clean it off as much as you can before you place it in the recycling bin.
- Steel cans and tin cans: Tin cans and steel cans are recyclable. In fact, steel cans on the market often have up to a quarter of recycled materials. They are one of the most recycled packaging products in the world, and can be fed into furnaces to create new steel.
What Can You Not Recycle?
While most products that are made of plastic, paper, or metal can be recycled, there are numerous products you still cannot recycle today. Some that you cannot recycle include:
- Take-out food: Take-out containers might be made from metal or plastic. Some are even made from cardboard, but they are heavily saturated with grease and food particles, making them unacceptable for most recycling centres.
- Plastic bags: If it is made of plastic, it does not mean it is always recyclable. This is especially true for plastic bags, which get caught into the machinery and make them unsuitable for recycling.
- Plastic bottle caps: When you recycle plastic bottles, which are accepted by most companies, you still cannot recycle the bottle caps. Most caps are made from polypropylene, which is plastic #5. Higher plastic concentrations are too hard to recycle; therefore, discard before putting in the bin.
- Styrofoam: Styrofoam, expanded polystyrene, cannot be recycled. While technically made from plastic, it is plastic #6, which cannot be broken down.
Start a Recycling Program Today
Quik Pick Waste Disposal offers recycling programs for the Lloydminster, Bonnyville, and Cold Lake area. If you would like to start a recycling program, speak with one of our waste managers to get started on your blue bin recycling program.
Schedule your recycling bin drop off in Lloydminster, Bonnyville or Cold Lake with Quik Pick Waste Disposal today. You can request a quote online or call us toll-free at 877-475-4100.